A musical drama for soloists, unison voices, SATB chorus, and instrumental ensemble
This engaging musical drama follows the quest of Pip the Sparrow to be accepted into the Dawn Chorus. Along the way Pip meets characters like the Doc Rock Peacocks, who promise to transform the sparrow into a star, and the troubled residents of The Bewilderness. With the help of two friendly owls, Pip meets singing sensation Shamira the Golden Nightingale and discovers a great secret, causing the sparrow to at last understand the power of having a song that is completely their own. As well as the rich variety of solo roles, which feature spoken narration, the work provides great dramatic potential for the unison and mixed choruses, who play an integral role in the storytelling. The memorable, eminently singable melodies are complimented by a characterful orchestration, for 10-part instrumental ensemble, with Chilcott drawing on a broad range of musical styles. Exploring themes of identity, inclusivity, and self-belief, this heart-warming work is a testament to the unifying, healing power of music.
- Story and texts by Charles Bennett
- A variety of solo roles, also featuring spoken narration
- Eminently singable melodies and a characterful orchestration
- Rehearsal pack with photocopiable unison part and lyrics
- Access to companion website with downloadable audio rehearsal tracks as part of the rehearsal packDuration: 45 minutes